Tuesday, January 5, 2010

I'm getting a slow start to this, I admit. I should post more often as I get used to how all of this works.

I bought those Brain Quest cards the other day for the kids and play this game with them that I learned from another unschooler on a board. The kids bring their pennies (really about 10-20 each) and we put them in a bowl. Then, I ask one of the questions on the cards. The first one to get it correct, gets a penny. If it's close or a tie, then they both get a penny. If they don't know or get it wrong, I get a penny! I bought the 7th grade cards so it's a bit of a challenge. It's been good for all of us because I've found that there are things that they know about that I wasn't aware of. For example, they knew Lincoln was shot at Ford Theater, but they didn't know he had anything to do with the Civil War. So we spent some time talking about all of that.

I've unexpectedly found out that I learn things from this as well! I bought the 2nd grade cards for Charlie to let him play along with too. He wasn't too interested at first and said "I don't know" to everything but when he saw the other kids getting pennies, then he was all into it. The funny thing is that some of the questions for 2nd graders, I didn't even know the answer too!

No comments:

Post a Comment