Monday, January 11, 2010

It's ALL about learning!

I've been speaking with a lot of other unschooling moms who are having issues with family members who don't agree with their style of parenting regarding education. One of the proponents I have is my step-daughter Christa and her fiance. They will say things like "you don't want them to learn anything." This could not be further from the truth!

Unschooling is ALL about learning! I want my kids to learn as much as they can! I think the difference lies in WHAT they learn and especially when. Unschoolers are completely unconcerned when their children learn adding, or reading, or history, or botany, whatever. There is no real "required" thing to learn. The biggest exception to this is reading, but reading is so demanded by society AND in continuing a self-education, children WANT to learn to read. It one of the first things most kids want to learn. So it comes in time. The important thing to remember is that it doesn't come at the same time for every child, lifting the stigma of being "learning disabled."

The education system in America has us so brainwashed into how it should be and telling us what our children should know and when, they are ultimately trying to raise our kids for us. NO THANK YOU! I won't subscribe to that. I had children so that I can enjoy their company, watch them grow up, watch them learn, help them learn, not so I can drag them out of bed at the crack of dawn every day to repeat useless work for 7 hours with complete strangers that they really aren't interested in doing.

I took Brian to Tae Kwon Do practice once. He likes to go a little early and talk to some of the other kids before class starts. One kid was there sitting at one of the tables feverishly trying to get through a sheet of what looked to be about 50 math problems. Brian said "hi" and the kid said "can't talk now!" So class started, completed and the second it was over this kids Dad was rushing him saying "we need to get home to finish homework." It was hard for me to watch and even Brian noticed it. "That's sad," he said. People will criticize me and my kids and say they aren't "socialized" yet these kids have so much school and homework, I don't know when they have time to see their own parents! Then when these kids turn 18 and go off to college, I hear parents say "oh, I'm going to miss them so much, they'll never be home anymore" Explain this to me....they were hardly ever home in the first place!

9 comments:

  1. This is true. However, my daughter is in first grade and LOVES going to school. I also have several friends who teach their children at home. I think each parent should do what they feel works for their situation. The options should be open to everyone to school their children in whatever way they please. I may decide to homeschool in the future, but right now I am very happy with the school she is in and she enjoys it.

    Thanks for this post! And keep up the good work. It sounds like your children are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Carolyn! I just read your name on an e-mail from the homeschool mbc! I haven't participated, but I still get the e-mails. I just got back from out of town and I have a ton of e-mail to go through, but I look forward to reading after I catch up! (no pun intended, lol!) I'm not sure if I'm listed on the site, but my blog is http://lifeinlayout.blogspot.com. (You should join networked blogs on FB!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is so true but they do grow so fast, when you look back.
    kim from mbc

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jenny, you are right. School can be a great place for SOME kids. The problem is, not all. It's a one size fits all place, but if it doesn't fit you, it's a nightmare.

    Thanks for reading guys!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I may have to consider homeschooling my son, but for different reasons. He has Autism, and we sometimes have problems with the school system. He is so incredibly smart (he's been reading since he was 3yo, he has hyperlexia). It seems that school is 'holding him back' due to social problems, but I want him to learn as much as he can. So I teach him alot at home, and 'school', for now, is a place for him to go and 'play'...and he does love to go.

    Great post! I'm a new follower from MBC! I'd love for you to come visit my blog!

    ~Shelley @ Shelley's Swag

    ReplyDelete
  6. "hyperlexia"? See, I'm learning stuff too! Off to google...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for such an informative blog, I'm grabbing your button and putting it on my page. I love this form of learning, I can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, I've never heard of "unschooling." This is very interesting and I'll be following to learn more.

    Following from MBC.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been reading your blog from MBC and I really like some of what you write and some of your ideas. Being a social worker I appreciate your child lead approach. I do have to be honest though that I take offence to you saying that someone's child was "hardly ever home in the first place!". Just becuase someone sends their child to school does not mean they are missing out on their life or not involved.

    I've noticed in many of your posts you defend your stance by criticizing the other side. Can there be a happy balance? Can it be okay for other's to believe in the traditional school system even if you don't?

    Just some food for thought I guess :)

    ReplyDelete